The City of Clear Lake Utility Billing Department is located at City Hall, 15 North 6th Street. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m. The Utility bill includes charges for water, sewer, garbage/recycling, landfill, and stormwater utility.
Utility bills are mailed out the 1st working day of every month and are due on the 15th of the month.
Any utility bill not paid by the 15th of the month will be deemed delinquent, a 10% penalty will be added, and a 12-day shut-off notice will be sent. If not paid by the shut off date, the water service will be disconnected for non-payment. If water service is disconnected, the entire account balance must be paid along with a $35 (during normal business hours) or $50 (after normal business hours) reconnect charge to have the services reconnected. Please note: If your water service has been disconnected due to non-payment and you wish to pay and reconnect after business hours, call the Police Department at (641) 357-2186. Any property owner that receives 2 consecutive past due notices will be charged a deposit of $90.
Meters are usually read between the 20th -26th day of the month, which may vary depending on weather, holidays, weekends, etc.
For after hours emergency water breaks or sewer backups, please contact the Clear Lake Police Department at (641) 357-2186.
To Begin Water Service
Complete an Application for Residential or Commercial Utility Service and submit with a copy of a government-issued ID. Contact the Utility Billing Clerk at Clear Lake City Hall or call 641-357-5267 with questions. A utility deposit of $90 is required for all residential and commercial rental properties. This deposit is required to establish service. Additional requirements may be found on the below applications:
*Rates effective July 1, 2022
|Water - Zero Gallons to 1,500 Gallons
|Water - each additional 1,000 gallons
(after 1,500 gallons)
|$2.78 per thousand
|Sewer - 38% of the dollar amount of the water (excluding tax)
|$3.52 min. Plus $1.47
Sewer - each additional 1,000 gallons
(after 1,500 gallons)
| $1.06 per thousand|
Garbage/Recycling - pick up once a week and recycling every other week
|$2.57 per meter
|Storm Water Utility
|$2.66 - residential
$5.32 - non-residential
Sample City of Clear Lake Utility Bill
- ACH - Monthly automatic withdrawal from your bank account initiated by us (not to be confused with online banking offered by your financial institution). For more information or to apply, download the Utility Billing Auto Pay Form.
- ONLINE - Click here to view bill and pay via credit card or e-check (a convenience fee will be added)
- If you setup an automatic withdrawal using this option, please pick a date between the 10th-15th of the month to avoid penalties & disconnection notices. If you choose a date outside of this range, you may get penalties and disconnection notices.
- PHONE - Call toll-free 877-885-7968 (a convenience fee will be added)
- SMART PHONE OR TABLET
- MAIL - Payments may be mailed to City of Clear Lake, PO Box 185, Clear Lake, IA 50428.
- DROP BOX - Available 24/7, located on south side of City Hall, 15 N 6th St.
- IN PERSON - At City Hall, 15 N 6th St, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
**Please Note: A $25 fee will be charged for any returned item.**
Setting Up Other Utilities/Services
For additional comments or questions, please contact:
Utility Billing Clerk
Ph: (641)357-5267 Fax: (641)357-8711